Monday, September 26, 2005

Island Adventure Blog: Day 0, Travel Day

Today was the day! I don’t remember much between waking up and getting on the plane, except being driven to the airport by the always generous Mr. P, and checking and waltzing through security (unlike a poor grandma and some brothas’ getting the though treatment). It was a classic example how why airport security is a sham. Either it is blindly random and you waste time searching poor little old ladies, or its profiling the wrong people; some completely benign African-Americans. Somehow, my social cloaking ability has always whisked me through unmolested.

The flight was tough, because I was working on a handful hours of sleep. I kept on wanting to fall asleep but if you sleep 5 hours during the day, you’re not going to sleep that night, and worse, not make it to your job in the morning. Also, the in flight movie was “Herbie: Reloaded”… and as a rule I don’t watch anything with Lindsey Lohan… or any of her cohort group. The couple sitting next to me was nice, but I think from somewhere in Eastern Europe… and not really “English speakers”. So I drifted in and out of consciousness, being woken up by the lumber mill of a man behind me. I mean, I know I snore, camping stories with friends and retreats with co-workers have alerted me to this by the heckling in the morning. But this guy… wow! I am happy to report, no screaming babies, drunken idiots, or scantily clad strippers like some of my past flights.

So as I debark the airplane, I am reminded of my father’s story of his first trip to the island as a young Air Force Airman in the 60’s. How it was like a magical, dreamland of light breezes and sweet air. I am rudely wrenched from his lovely memory by what I can only describe as vapor wall of sticky warmth. Ahh yes! Humidity; the bane of every Northwesterner. The place is lovely, but I’m in the midst of what I have termed “Air Travel Angst” or ATA if you will. ATA is simply being sick and tired of waiting in lines, being flung 30,000 feet in the air at 500 mph, sitting for over 5 hours and fighting streams of people like salmon spawning. I’m sure once I get all my ducks in row, settled in my hotel and eat something, I’ll be all smiles again!

And sure enough I am… one Hawaiian burger and several Mai Tais later (my new favorite drink) I’m a brand new man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there. i really enjoy your blog and read the new updates all the time. keep up the good work. you are a cute guy too -- from your picture.

Ayric Andy said...

Oh good golly...

Thanks for your comments...

Phil... stalking is still a crime both here and back home. I'd think you'd know that by now! Besides, not much on the cutie radar anyhow. I don't care much for spending a night in a Kauaian jail.