Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Island Adventure Blog: Day 3, Wailua River Valley and Keahua Arboretum

Wow... what a great day! I got to wake up late (7am Hawaiian time, 3hr difference for West Coast and 6hrs for the East) and had this strange pork (yes Ada, PORK) and eggs. It was good, but I got the feeling that if I ate it everyday, I'd die within the month. After breakfast, I was on a search for a good internet connection. After my years on the road, I find open WiFi hotspots like a bloodhound on the trail of a escaping convict from a white-collar low security prison.
(I committed to that one, but it fell apart, my apologies. The easy living is making me soft...er)
Of course it was in the lobby of my hotel, and not in some Mircosoftie's timeshare next door. So I plopped down in a beach chair, and got connected! Yeah I'm a geek, in paradise and desperately seeking an Internet connection...

So now that I'm "back" I can keep you updated! After a short training at noon, I went up the Wailua (Ayric-Andy translation: Why-Loo-a, but that's my guess. I stink at English, so my Hawaiian will be about the same) River Valley. I saw the ruins of the old Coco Palms Resort, made famous by Elvis Prestley and some Rat Packers back in the day. It got torn up in a hurricane back in 92' so now there is nothing going on there... very creepy. I guess they are going to renovate it by end of 06'. Probably where I'd like to say next time I come... a great location.

I then headed up river, checking out some cool viewpoints of the river and the Opaeka'a Falls. I then went off schedule and just started driving further up hill. It eventually dead ended at the Keahua Arboretum (at least I think so, because there was a parking lot and trees). About this time my battery died on the camera, so I headed back to the hotel to filter through the pictures, optimize them (with, gasp, Microsoft Photo Editor, it sucked) for the internet, and upload them to flickr.com. So without much further ado... here are the pictures!

(if you desire more pictures of things like, the road, brush, and exciting shots of dirt, all my pictures will be available on the Ayric-Andy Egomania Pack sometime this winter)

3 comments:

dankhole said...

That's the coolest tire washer I've ever seen! Looks like you're having a great time! Keep an eye out for those wahini's!

bucketgirl said...

Too damn vivid.

Ado is one word.

Anonymous said...

Your ada pal is right, ado is one word. Is she always that bossy? Man O Man. She's probably one of those people that thinks they know everything. Cutie guys = bossy girlfriends I say.